Sunday, October 25, 2009

to witness a miracle


Dear Blog,


I did witness a miracle. It was so, very overwhelming.
I can feel the tears welling up
And the constriction at my throat was starting to make me choke.

The miracle was indeed the birth of a child, from its mother's womb.

I was on call tonight. Arrived at the labour room at 7.30pm. Together with Ain and Amzar, we walked to the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Admission Centre (OGAC) and headed for the labour room. As we arrived, I heard babies crying left and right. It was indeed, scary. I thought to myself..."Oh my God. Am I going to observe this later? Will I be able to stand watching the whole painful delivery process?"


Our main objective at the labour room is to observe 5 baby deliveries and to CONDUCT another 5 ourselves (with the help of midwives, of course).

Upon arrival, many patients had already given birth therefore leaving us in an awful predicament whereby observing deliveries is uncertain due to the lack of patients going into labour. We went into this room, there I see Lia and Umai with the doc in charge and midwife on standby. We went into another room, even worse, coz there's Simon, Pei Yi, Lei Fang and Ila with their doc and midwives (ramai gila kott).

Thank God for Dr. Ravi in the next room (Mawar 5, if not mistaken) and his patient Miss Y. We asked permission from Dr. Ravi, granted, the doc asked us, "you all medical student?". "Yup". "Bagus, tolong ambikkan saya secawan air". I told my friends, "Cool. Our first task at the labour room is to fetch some water. Neat." Of course I was only joking. I don't mind at all. At least there was something to do. Not to mention, we built rapport with the doc right after.

So, the doc asked us to call him when Miss Y starts to yell...and yell did Miss Y a few minutes later. This is what I thought I heard:

"Merahhhh!!!" (at least, that's what I heard the first time)

"Berakkk!!!" (that's what I heard the second time)

"Darahhhh!!!" (the third time)


Up until now, I am still not sure what it was. My hunch is the latter?


So the midwife in charge of room 5 & 6 (Kak Cik or Kak Che, don't know how to spell) and Dr. Ravi came racing toward room 5. Tagging along was Kak Nang (again, don't know how to spell), another doc on duty.

All I can say is, both Ain and I were so overwhelmed by this. There are no words to describe how beautiful it was, it brought tears to my eyes. All the pain the mother had to endure, the doctors, midwife and of course the husband, all gave words of encouragement.

"Pandai, pandai!", "sikit lagi, sikit lagi!", "bagus, bagus!" - The words that we all shouted to help Miss Y gather her strength to push.

Just when I thought all the pushing and grunting and shouting was too much to bear, the baby's head was already in sight at the vag. That made the 3 of us more confident I think ,coz we started to shout louder, fiercer and faster!


"Waaaaaaa!!" the baby cried.


I thought the pushing part was too long, I hadn't even noticed how fast it was for the baby to come out right after its head is already free. It was difficult to digest.

Where had the baby come from again?
How could another human being come from another human being's tummy?
It was surreal!

I had never experienced anything like it at all. When the baby came out, it was...like a toy, or a dummy or something that didn't look real at all, until it started to cry. And when it cried, I knew my mind wasn't playing trickes on me. This IS REALLLL! Nothing short of a miracle.

I started to cry right then.

Because...I was grateful to God for creating such a beautiful and natural process.
Because...I now know what it was like for Mommy to give birth to all her children. How painful it was and how she had "suffered".
Because...the baby is alive after all that hardwork.
and because...God, it was just so beautiful.

I looked at Ain, and saw redness in her eyes. I think she felt the same way, too. What an experience kan Ain? =)

Ain called her mom afterwards..as did I. It felt nice hearing her voice, since I didn't come home this weekend (first time!! hehe) I miss home already. Mommy has this tone of voice, this very cheerful tone of voice. Not a care in the world, that's how I would describe it. Coz that's just Mommy, a very beautiful person with a very beautiful and young heart. Pampered at times, but mostly innocent and shielded from the real world. That's ok. As long as she's happy =) I told Mommy about my experience at the labour room and I cried on the phone. Don't know why, it just burst. I also said sorry, for all my wrongdoings. Only God knows what a bad daughter I've been =(

Anyway, I gotta sleep. I'm so tired. On call for 12 hours +/-...sleeeppyyyyy.

.getting more and more attached to babies, l e n a.

3 comments:

Leanna said...

beautiful blog entry farah, really.
FYI: the baby in the picture cute gila! where do you get all these cool pictures? nice eye. hehe.

that's very weird. the very same day i told mommy how sorry i was for being a bad daughter farah.

i told her tadi pagi (Wales time) how sorry i was and how badly i missed her smpai replay her video message yg you all buat haritu. i replayed the "hi unta" part byk kali. just to hear her call my name. sedih gila... that was after i blogged my recent entry tu. The "Why" game.

but yeah, nice blog. i could've sworn intan called mommy too right after her first experience too right? hehe.. really touching. :)

l e n a said...

thank you and you're welcome hehe.

yeahh, mommy told me about that. she said her usual, "are you two twins or something?" hehe.

wow, that's sad. see? now you understand what we meant by appreciating those you took for granted before. welcome to our world =)

anwar said...

awak nih mmg forever will be the "wet-blanket" in the fam... HAHA. but yeah, even Adel sorta mentioned to me mase kat Msia he had the same experience when he say Kayla come out... hehe.