Dear Blog,
Something out of the ordinary happened today, I have no idea what came over me.
But first! Let's start from the beginning.
It was about 8am I guess, and our ward round began but this time Dr. Rahana and Dr. Lim led the group. It was freaky, coz when we arrived at bed number 25 (which was supposed to be covered by me last week, but thank god the patient went home already. This is a new patient, spose to be covered by the next person) Dr. Rahana asked the big group, "who covered this bed?", "mana third year yang cover this bed? tolong present". Everyone was like looking around and being so silent and all. This week is May's turn to cover bed 25 F.Y.I. but I have no idea why I felt guilty deep inside. Prolly coz I knew I didn't clerk the previous patient and that if it were me that's spose topresent, I'd be dead by now.
May came out and explained to the doc something about language barrier. Then, Dr. Lim said "owh, so if got language barrier, no need to manage this patient lah, huh?" ok. The patient is from Myanmar.
Next bed, number 24. Covered by Fatin previously, currently by Jenn Yang who just found out he was spose to cover it starting this week. BAAAM~ Dr. Lim asked for a third year to present that bed. Jenn Yang went up front and he got scolded. Finally, all third years got a bit of scolding and we were chased out of the ward. It wasn't even 9am yet.
Afterwards, went to the Antenatal clinic below coz it's Red Team's turn (there's a rotation of different teams at the clinic everyday). Waited for Dr. Rahana and we had our very first teaching there in the clinic. She taught us the basics, LNMP, EDD and POA calculations. She told us to start clerking new case patients.
So...I "volunteered" to clerk a new case. Let me repeat that word, "volunteered". What the heck? Since when do I volunteer for such things? lol. I'm such a scaredy cat, I rarely even make eye contact with the docs here.
But, I did volunteer. And it felt good =) Somehow, it boosted my confidence and self-esteem.
I clerked my patient, with the help of Matun and I presented to Dr. Rahana after that. It was shaky, and of course I needed more practice...but, believe me it took guts to go through that. I wasn't prepared at all, which is definitely not a good thing.
After presenting, Dr. Rahana gave permission to do a physical examination on my patient. She told me that since I volunteered, I have that priviledge to do PE! Whoa, my first PE kott. Imagine how nerve-wrecking that was.
I had a 5th year student to teach me and also Dr. Rahana to guide me. Yeah, I made a lotta mistakes but, so what? I tried didn't I? And it's not like I was totally blank, I still knew how to examine the abdomen. It's just a bit different coz it's a pregnant woman's abdomen. Palpating it, means you're palpating 2 living beings - mom and fetus. Anyway, Dr. Rahana slapped my shoulder when I tried to do the Lateral Grip right after measuring the Fundal Height..which, I was spose to start with a Fundal Grip then only the Lateral Grip. But, I didn't take it personally. It was my mistake anyway. It was actually pretty funny. I have no idea why rumour has it that Dr. Rahana is freakishly scary. I mean, she only scolds you if you do something wrong. Other than that, she's pretty ok. Funny too, at times.
Don't believe rumours people. Everyone made a big deal about Prof. Adeeb, Dr. Rahana and the midwives at the labour room. However, they seem pretty ok to me (tapi tak tahulah maybe baru-baru lagi. Who knows, in a long run their true colours will shine!)
.seeing is believing, but hearing...is just rumours. l e n a.
presto salad shooter
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment