Friday, November 20, 2009

it's not simple

Dear Blog,

500 Days of Summer.




Interesting.

It is not meant literally as 500 days of the season summer, but the person herself, Summer Finn.

Or...

Possibly, how man perceives the excitement and enjoyment during that season, and how it slowly fades away once autumn approaches.

500 Days of summer...surely you'll get bored of not knowing what to do? I know I would.

This story tells a tale about a boy and a girl, but it really isn't a love story, yes, the narrator had warned me beforehand. I just thought that at least there might be some kind of illusive relationship that makes viewers want to believe in love.

Frankly, I hated Summer. I hated the fact that she was unsure of how she felt about Tom. About how she mislead him, when all he's ever done was care about her. She hurt him, definitely not intentionally, but hurt him she did.

I also hated the fact that, even though I knew how Summer felt about Tom, and vice versa, I somehow still wanted to believe that they still had a chance. Especially by the way they keep bumping into each other, as though it was fate.

There is no such thing as fate, that I believe. And thanks to this movie, I definitely don't disagree.

However, I don't blame Summer for being distant up to the end. If the feeling's not mutual, why bother, right? If only she realized it before Tom got in too deep, with someone so complex. Shouldn't she just push him away from the very start?

Kudos to Tom for persevering, even though the end result was still heartbreaking. He did get tired of the whole relationship in the end and tried to move on.

This is a heartbreaking story really. I felt pain til the very end.

Another thing to note, this movie is about reality. No matter how much you wanted both Summer and Tom to end up together, in the end, no one can control their own feelings. If it's not there, it's not there. Who wants to be cheated into believing that there is such a thing as happy endings when life really isn't about happy endings...it's about survival. And, I think in the end, Tom will do OK. He will survive. He had met Autumn, hadn't he?

If you want a tale about heartbreaks here's the film for you.

If you want to know how "reality bites", by all means, go for it.

7/10, for portraying all sorts of emotions - happiness, sadness, post-breakup depressions, moving-on and for grasping reality. Actors were good too, when they're happy, you feel on top of the world, but, when they're sad, you start blaming their faults. This movie really questions about how one is really sure about relationships. Will it last? Is there such a thing as forever?

Owh yeah, I do like how the director played with time, going to the past and present alternately. As though man really has the power to influence time for our own benefits. The graphics were neat too. Very subtle.

Other than that, this is a movie about art. You can't watch it with a straight eye. You have to really think about what's going on, postulate about what it means and identify the hidden messages underneath it all. I enjoyed watching it. There was one scene where Tom entered Summer's apartment for the first time, and the camera took a shot of a green apple on a bowler hat. I felt as though there was some kinda message there.

Why a hat and a green apple on top?



(this man is standing in front of a wall overlooking the sea, wearing a bowler hat and has a green apple in front of his face, partially hiding it from view. his left arm is bent backwards. you see an apple, you see a man's face. am I stating the obvious? or is there a hidden message somewhere?)

I looked it up, turns out it was intentional, as a reference to a famous painting named "The Son of Man" by Rene Magritte...an artist that was said to be Summer's favourite sometime in the movie. About the painting, Rene said:

At least it hides the face partly (one eye is partly visible). Well, so you have the apparent face, the apple, hiding the visible but hidden, the face of the person. It's something that happens constantly. Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling , a sort of conflict, one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present.


By this, you can't really understand what goes on in life. To see something and believing in it, or, to see something and understanding it...then only believing in it. Because, you can't always believe everything you see in life. I would apply this to meeting a stranger, one fine day.

.a quick thought, l e n a.

No comments: